Last Updated on September 24, 2023 by Dogs Vets
How to Clean a Smelly Dog Bed
Your dog’s bed is a place where they can relax and feel safe. But over time, it can start to smell. This is especially true if your dog has allergies, skin problems, or if they like to roll around in the mud.
If your dog’s bed is starting to smell, don’t worry. There are a few simple things you can do to clean it and get rid of the odor. In this blog post, we’ll share our tips on how to clean a smelly dog bed.
What you’ll need:
- Washing machine
- Baking soda
- White vinegar
- Pet-friendly detergent
- Vacuum cleaner
- Remove the cover. Most dog beds have removable covers. If yours does, remove it and shake it out to remove any loose hair or dirt.
- Wash the cover. Wash the cover in your washing machine on a cold cycle with a mild detergent. You can also add a cup of white vinegar to the wash to help remove odors.
- Clean the inner bed. If the inner bed of your dog’s bed is washable, you can wash it in the washing machine as well. Just be sure to check the care instructions first. If the inner bed is not washable, you can spot clean it with a mixture of baking soda and water.
- Dry the cover and inner bed. Once the cover and inner bed are washed, dry them on a low heat setting in your dryer.
- Put the bed back together. Once the cover and inner bed are dry, put the bed back together and your dog is ready to enjoy their clean bed!
- If your dog’s bed has a strong odor, you can soak it in a mixture of baking soda and water for a few hours before washing it.
- You can also add a cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle of your washing machine to help remove any remaining odors.
- If your dog’s bed is not machine washable, you can spot clean it with a mixture of baking soda and water. Just be sure to let the baking soda sit on the stain for a few hours before vacuuming it up.
- You can also use a pet-friendly enzymatic cleaner to remove odors from your dog’s bed. Enzymatic cleaners break down the proteins in urine and feces, which is what causes the odor.
- To prevent your dog’s bed from getting smelly in the first place, be sure to wash it regularly. You should also vacuum the bed regularly to remove any loose hair or dirt.
How to Clean a Smelly Dog Bed Without a Washing Machine
If you don’t have a washing machine, you can still clean your dog’s bed. Here’s how:
- Vacuum the bed. Vacuum the bed thoroughly to remove any loose hair or dirt.
- Spot clean the bed. Use a mixture of baking soda and water to spot clean any stains or areas that are particularly smelly. Let the baking soda sit on the stain for a few hours before vacuuming it up.
- Soak the bed. If the bed is very smelly, you can soak it in a mixture of baking soda and water for a few hours. Just be sure to let the bed dry completely before using it again.
- Air dry the bed. Once the bed is clean, air dry it in a sunny spot.
How to Keep Your Dog’s Bed Smelling Fresh
Here are a few tips on how to keep your dog’s bed smelling fresh:
- Wash the bed regularly. You should wash your dog’s bed at least once a week, or more often if it gets dirty or smelly.
- Vacuum the bed regularly. Vacuum the bed regularly to remove any loose hair or dirt.
- Use a waterproof cover. A waterproof cover will help protect the bed from accidents and spills.
- Place the bed in a sunny spot. Sunlight will help to kill bacteria and freshen the bed.
- Use a pet-friendly deodorizer. You can use a pet-friendly deodorizer to freshen the bed between washes.
If you have a smelly dog bed that is a constant reminder of your pet’s previous mishaps, there are some simple steps you can take to make it look and smell great. Here are a few tips to get you started:
Vacuuming a smelly dog bed isn’t a complicated task, but there are several different ways to go about it.
- First, use the right cleaning tools to make the job easier.
- Second, find a way to remove odors from the bedding without using harmful chemicals.
Finally, don’t forget to air dry!
The main purpose of vacuuming a dog bed is to get rid of the dander and loose dirt. While vacuuming the bedding, focus on the area on the dog’s side. Then, spray the area with a pet-safe odor eliminator.
The best part of the process is that you’ll also be removing dust and mites. All of which can contribute to allergies. While it may be difficult to completely avoid them, taking steps to keep them at bay will help you and your family breathe easier.
The reasons dogs gets mites is because of the awkward dog sleeping positions and the way they tend to sleep anywhere.
A better way to clean your dog’s bedding is to use a lint roller. Lint rollers work particularly well on curved beds and extra fluffy ones. The lint roller will also help you to remove flea eggs.
Washing In A Bathtub
If you have a smelly dog bed, you’ll need to know how to clean it. This is a very important task, not only for the health of your pet, but for the safety of your family and friends.
First, you’ll need to vacuum and remove excess hair. Then, you’ll need to soak the bed in a solution. This will kill any germs and bacteria that may be embedded in the material. Then, you’ll need to rinse and dry the bed.
Once you’ve finished, you’ll want to make sure you don’t leave any residue on the dog bed. Luckily, this isn’t hard to do. You just need to make sure you’re wearing rubber gloves to avoid causing burns.
Now that you’re ready to clean your dog bed, you’ll need to use a detergent that’s safe for your pet.
You also need to check the label to make sure the product contains all of the ingredients you need.
For the best results, you’ll need to choose a detergent that’s mild enough to clean your dog’s skin. You can also add an enzyme-based stain remover to get rid of tough stains.
If your dog’s bed is smelling, you may want to clean it. There are a few things you can do, including hand washing. But before you start, make sure your dog’s bed is free of dirt and dust mites. Also, ensure the fabric is color fast.
Soaking your dog’s bed in warm water with a mild detergent will help get rid of dirt. For tougher stains, you can pre-treat them with a stain remover before washing. Then rinse it thoroughly.
For a foam dog bed, you can use a vinegar solution to deodorize. Rinse the bed thoroughly after cleaning. You can also deodorize your dog’s mattress. Also, does deodorizing a mattress affect sleep? No, it doesnot.
You can wash your dog’s bed in a sink or in a bathtub. Depending on the size of the bed, you can soak it for fifteen minutes or let it sit for up to thirty.
For smaller dogs, you can use a washing machine. Larger dogs’ beds, however, need to be washed by hand.
After washing, you can use a lint roller to get rid of pet hair. This can help prevent allergies.
Decongesting With Febreze
There are some simple steps you can take to decongest a smelly dog bed. One method is to spray the bed with a natural, pet-friendly deodorizer.
This helps keep the bed fresh between washes. Another option is to use Febreze Fabric Fresher. Both are easy and inexpensive.
Before applying any of these methods, it’s best to wash the bedding separately.
For best results, soak the bed for at least 15 minutes and squeeze out any excess water.
You should also rinse with cold water. You can then dry the bed in a dryer, on a warm day, or in the air. You can also add a waterproof mattress protector to the bed for extra protection.
Using Febreze, a spray, or a homemade deodorizer may be all you need to get your dog’s bed fresh and clean again.
In fact, this product is so safe that it’s recommended for use on both dogs and cats. Plus, it’s a great way to remove odors from your furniture, clothing, and more.
If your dog bed is starting to smell, don’t despair! With a little elbow grease (and maybe some baking soda), you can have it smelling fresh in no time.
First, remove the cover and wash it according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If the mattress itself is smelly, you can try sprinkling baking soda on it and letting it sit for an hour or so before vacuuming it up.
You may need to do this a few times to get rid of all the smells. If your dog bed is beyond cleaning, though, it’s probably time to invest in a new one.
Q: How often should I wash my dog’s bed?
A: You should wash your dog’s bed at least once a week, or more often if it gets dirty or smelly.
Q: What kind of detergent should I use to wash my dog’s bed?
A: You should use a mild, pet-friendly detergent to wash your dog’s bed. Avoid using any harsh detergents or fabric softeners, as these can irritate your dog’s skin.