Last Updated on September 23, 2023 by Dogs Vets
Top 5 Dog Care Tips To Keep Your Pet Healthy
Having a dog pet is like having a baby at home. At some point, you think you’ve figured it all out, and the next moment, you feel like you’re doing nothing right.
The thing is, it doesn’t matter if you’re a first-time dog owner or you’ve had fur babies all your life. There’ll always be something new you could learn when it comes to dog care tips.
Since keeping your pet healthy is nonnegotiable, it pays to never stop educating yourself.
Being a pet owner is a responsibility you shouldn’t take lightly. You love your dog for sure, and you only want the best for them. By following a few basic guidelines, you can keep your furry buddy healthy and happy.
1. Proper nutrition
One of the most crucial aspects of keeping your dog healthy is proper nutrition. As their fur parent, you need to make sure you’re feeding your pooch high-quality dog food and treats from a trusted company, such as this dog food site.
Remember, diet is a fundamental component that can affect your dog’s health functions, energy level, weight, growth development, and even skin and coat appearance.
When choosing food products for your pet, check the ingredient list first. See if the food includes the essential nutrients your dog needs for proper growth and nutrition.
Canines need proteins, carbohydrates, fats, water, vitamins, and minerals.
You can ask your vet if you’re unsure how much food to give your dog, especially as they mature. (2)
The dietary requirement changes as your pooch grows, so it’s essential you’re updated with the guidelines based on their weight, age, or whether they have specific medical conditions to consider.
The doctor should also be able to decide if your furry companion needs additional supplements to support their health and wellness.
2. Wellness checkups
Even when you’re already a pro when it comes to taking care of dogs, it’s still a necessity to bring them to wellness checkups regularly. Such an opportunity will help your vet detect any warning signs of illnesses and diseases.
Performing regular health screens can take you and your dog one step ahead of any unforeseen circumstance, especially when your pet’s breed is prone to specific health conditions.
German shepherds, for example, are prone to an untreatable disease called degenerative myelopathy, which could result in progressive paralysis if not detected earlier.
On the other hand, Yorkshire terriers should be monitored closely, particularly when it comes to their diet since they’re vulnerable to digestive issues such as pancreatitis and hemorrhagic gastroenteritis.
Aside from ensuring they get health checkups, take the time to bring your dog to the dentist as well. Your beloved pet may need to have tartar buildup or plaque removal from time to time. Ensuring regular dental visits will keep your dog’s oral health in check.
3. Regular exercise
Aside from proper nutrition, your dog also needs to get enough exercise. This helps them stay physically fit and active. You can take your pet on walks every day, and when there’s an opportunity, hiking and swimming would also work best for them.
Try changing your walking routine if you want to expose your dog to new smells and sceneries. Playing fetch is another activity that stimulates physical fitness and, at the same time, lets you spend quality time together.
Generally, dogs need at least an hour or two of exercise every day. However, this can change depending on your pet’s size, breed, and age. Ask the vet for recommendations so you’re sure not to overdo it.
Over time, you’ll learn to change the routine and schedule as you and your furry friend spend months and years together.
Additionally, don’t forget to give your furry best friend mental stimulation as this would encourage them to stay mentally alert, intelligent, and obedient.
You can try coming up with games and activities they can engage in or buy some doggie toys they can play with. You can also teach them new tricks or build obstacle courses in your backyard to keep your pet engaged and interested.
Grooming your furry companion is another essential care tip to remember if you want to keep them healthy. All dogs, regardless of breed and age, require general grooming as they grow. This is especially true if you don’t want them to develop allergies and other skin conditions.
If you have a long-haired dog such as a Maltese, Collie, or Pomeranian, brushing their coat regularly is necessary to keep it healthy and shiny.
Haircuts every month or so may also be required if your dog continuously grows their hair. You can choose to groom the pet yourself or find a professional you can trust to do it. Whichever you decide, make sure it’s done regularly and with care.
5. Pet safety
Part of keeping your dog healthy is to ensure their safety at all times. Most safety tips for pet care go a long way in preventing health hazards and other unfortunate incidents.
For instance, keeping your home hazard-free can already make a difference in guaranteeing they’ll be okay even when you’re not at home to watch over them.
Make sure to put toxic and harmful substances out of their reach. Secure garbage can lids to avoid the canine from snooping or digging around for snacks.
Take advantage of new technologies to help keep your dog safe. Installing pet cameras is an excellent step to monitor them while you’re away. You can buy a GPS collar and microchip that allows you to locate them if they ever escape or run away from the house.
Here are some essential dog care tips to help keep your pet healthy:
- Meet Your Dog’s Nutritional Needs: Ensure your dog is fed a well-balanced, nutritious diet that meets their specific breed and age requirements. Consult your veterinarian for dietary recommendations.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight: Keep your dog at a healthy weight to prevent obesity-related health issues. Regular exercise and portion control are crucial for weight management.
- Plenty of Exercise: Make sure your dog gets ample exercise to keep them physically and mentally stimulated. Regular walks, playtime, and interactive toys are beneficial for their well-being.
- Vaccination Schedule: Stay on top of your dog’s vaccination schedule to protect them from preventable diseases. Consult your veterinarian for the recommended vaccines for your pet.
- Choose the Right Food: Select high-quality dog food that aligns with your dog’s dietary needs. Avoid feeding them harmful human foods, such as chocolate and grapes, which can be toxic to dogs.
- Spay or Neuter Your Pet: Consider spaying or neutering your dog to prevent unwanted pregnancies and reduce the risk of certain health problems like cancer and behavior issues.
- Dental Care: Don’t overlook dental health. Brush your dog’s teeth regularly and provide dental chews or toys to maintain good oral hygiene.
- Regular Vet Check-ups: Schedule regular veterinary check-ups to catch any health issues early. Discuss preventive measures and vaccinations with your vet to ensure your dog’s well-being.
- Clean, Fresh Water: Always provide clean, fresh water for your dog to stay hydrated. Monitor their water intake, especially on hot days, to prevent dehydration.
- Dog-Proof Your Home: Make your home safe for your dog by removing hazards, securing toxic substances, and ensuring a comfortable living environment.
By following these dog care tips, you can help ensure your furry friend enjoys a healthy and happy life.
Keeping your pet healthy isn’t an easy task, but it’s something you can do effectively if you’re wholeheartedly up for the responsibility.
Your dog can’t take care of themselves, so they rely on you to look after them. In return, you can expect to have longer and happier years to spend with your furry best friend.
Thus, always make sure to provide your canine with proper nutrition, wellness checkups, regular exercise, and grooming. Don’t forget to consider their safety as well, especially when you’re not at home with them.
- “Keep Your Dog Healthy”, Source: https://www.thesprucepets.com/keep-your-dog-healthy-1117827
- “Nutrition – General Feeding Guidelines for Dogs”, Source: https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/nutrition-general-feeding-guidelines-for-dogs
- “General Dog Care”, Source: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/general-dog-care
- “Top Tips to Keep Your Dog Healthy and Safe”, Source: https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/healthy-safe-dog-vet-advice#1
- “Possible Health Issues in Common Dog Breeds”, Source: https://www.healthline.com/health/dog-breeds-and-health-issues
- “6 Things You Can Do to Keep Your Dog Healthy”, Source: https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/6-things-keep-your-dog-healthy/
- “10 Pet Safety Tips For When Your Dog is Home Alone”, Source: https://www.petmd.com/dog/care/10-pet-safety-tips-when-your-dog-home-alone
We hope you enjoyed this article… What are your thoughts about Top 5 Dog Care Tips To Keep Your Pet Healthy?
Please feel free to share with us in the comments section below.